Membership of the Christian Association of Nigerian-Americans is opened to ALL Nigerian Christians in the US, wherever they may be located.
As a member, you are part of a powerful voice of Nigerian-Americans ensuring that we are a notable part of the American society and building our influence through our elected government officials from the local, county to state and federal government levels.
The association exists to raise our voice in this country and influence events here in the US, and in Nigeria from here, in every significant term. Already this impact is being made, and testified to by many including a member of the US Congress.
Besides, being the pre-eminent voice of our people and their immigrant communities here, CANAN will also, in the further implementation of its vision and mission statements, organise a host of events and programs designed specifically to benefit members. Some of this will include regular interaction with top government officials/prominent dignataries both here and in Nigeria, annual dinners, national essay competitions, pro bono legal services, free medical clinics etc.
WHY SHOULD I JOIN CANAN
- It gives representation to Nigerian-American Christians and others, offering a powerful platform of collective dialogue, conversation, and action issues that are specific and peculiar to New York.
- It offers great and well thought-out benefits that will impact and inspiremembers
- You shall be part of an organic forum that is upwardly-mobile, growth- based, and set up to inform, equip, represent, and inspire its membership in New York and surrounding cities
Membership dues are annual and it entitles members to participate in ALL our programs.
There are different levels of membership:
*Local Churches and Non-Church Ministries: $500
*Pastors and Leaders: $250
In order to join CANAN, please fill out the membership form and make payment on our website using this link Join CANAN. Or you can send your name, email address and mailing address to our mailing address below. Checks for membership dues should also be mailed at the same time to our mailing address below.
Christian Association of Nigerian-Americans, CANAN 589 Broadway Amitvville NY 11701 United States
For further information or inquiries, please email us at email@example.com. Our telephone number is 914-354-4095
If you want a local chapter launched in your area, please send an email to the Executive Director at firstname.lastname@example.org
Payment for Membership
Individuals (benefits tailored to assisting individual member’s needs)
- Immigration – offer clinics, workshops, hands-on legal advice, position papers, and advocacy. CANAN recognizes the great hardship and untold suffering that thousands of Nigerians go through as a result of immigration gaps, errors, and irregularities. It has witnessed firsthand the grinding consequences of poverty, stagnation, depression, marriage failures, fear, extortion, disconnection, deportation, and victimization that Nigerians have been subjected to. Many have become perennial fugitives abandoning their dreams, and aspirations. CANAN pledges a platform of practical immigration assistance working with a number of attorneys and legal minds. We have begun offering immigration clinics, workshops, and hands-on legal referrals. We have started receiving testimonials of our people who have availed themselves of these opportunities and have received filings, green cards, and overall progress in their immigration status. We are not stopping there but have started exploring how we can take the fight for our people to the US authorities through reasoned position papers, and advocacy as well as interventions, where necessitated.
- Jobs – Promote job opportunities, fairs, references, and training. CANAN NY is strongly inclined to promoting job opportunities, fairs, and providing references, and training. CANAN NY is looking to a future where its members are recession-proof. We wish to partner with major recruitment agencies, job sites, career fairs, and invest in internal efforts at matching our members’ career needs to lucrative job opportunities in the marketplace. Our intention is to organize business and career fairs annually. Startups and small businesses have been proven to be the bedrock of a growing and successful country like the United States. We wish to equip our members with information and skillsets to take advantage of business and financing opportunities.
- Education – Mentorship of teens/youth, assistance with college application process, prep, grants, and scholarships. CANAN NY awards sponsored by churches and organizations. CANAN NY has been tracking some of our youth and is very proud to associate with the phenomenal success recorded in their different academic and social endeavors. We do want to continue a ‘deliberate’ mentorship of our teens/youth on having the right values, ‘passing on of the baton’ to the new generation, and assistance with college application process, preparation, grants, and scholarships. Again we will partner with relevant organizations in extending academic and social opportunities to our kids.
- Youth and Women Empowerment – positive reinforcement of our youths through well packaged programs. Closely aligned with the above is a mandate that is very dear to our heart as an organization. We are committed to the positive reinforcement of our youths and women through well-packaged programs including free counselling and mentoring programs.
- Nigerian positive image – defense, protection, and advocacy for members at all times
Churches (benefits tailored to assisting churches’ needs)
Building services – assistance with building projects, construction, problems with building departments, and other services.
- Church Finances – special teachings/trainings on finance and accounts; access to finance
- Corporate services – advise on church incorporations, obtainance of 501C, 501C (3) status
- Community Relations – outreach to community leaders, and related platforms
• Pastoral support – church administration and management trainings, mentorship programs, comfort and encouragement of pastors
- Resource Center – offer help with creation of church website, institution of scholarship fund, and other resources that are useful to churches
Come join us!
What People Are Saying About CANAN
“It is about shining our lights as Christians in this country, our lights will no more be hidden” – Pastor James Fadele, Chairman Redeemed Christian Church of God, North America
“A heart-warming proposal whose time has come!” – Archbishop Joseph Alexander, Founder & Presiding Bishop, New Covenant Christian Church and President African Christian Clergy Council
“A very good job. I commend the effort on this project” – Dr Olabisi Tofade, Senior Pastor, Jubilee Christian Church International
“This is the first time that Nigerians Christians in America will come together outside denominations, with a broad outlook to care for our people. The spirit and energy at the (inaugural) meeting was superb.” – Dr Olufemi Alabi, Senior Pastor, Bethel of Praise Ministries
“Great Idea!” – Phillip Adekunle, Publisher Nigeriavillagesquare.com
“This indeed is a laudable initiative and I give you my full support. The Lord will breathe on the initiative and bless the work” – Mrs Olajobi Makinwa, Top United Nations Official
“An excellent idea and timely in relevance. I believe that the result will transcend the wildest dreams of its founders!” – Pastor Dala Alphonso
“It is good that Nigerian-Americans are adding their voices to the fight against Boko Haram,” – Congressman Peter King, Chairman of the US House of Reps Committee on Homeland Security
“This is a welcome development, inform the consulates of your existence,”
– Foreign Affairs Minister Olugbenga Ashiru
“I am delighted that such an idea whose time is auspicious finally gets off to a great start. I am fully committed to the vision and will deploy my Diaspora and home based experiences and networks to support our programs.”
– Mrs Obiageli Ezekwesili, immediate past VP -Africa Region-of World Bank